Wage $250-$1000 stipend for fellowship period, commensurate with experience
Hours Per Week 20-40+ hours per week
Extraordinary times require extraordinary action. With the accelerating climate crisis and President Trump’s assault on environmental regulations and decision to abandon the Paris climate accord, we are expanding our work to empower public officials everywhere to leverage our collective power to protect our communities. We empower elected officials across the United States to raise the bar for climate leadership and boldly transitioning away from fossil fuels to clean energy.
Led by a team of local and state officials across the country, we are building a bipartisan rapid-response network of state and local elected officials for climate change and environmental justice. Building on national partnerships that organized 350+ state senators, mayors, and elected officials from 46 states in 3 weeks to call for 100% clean energy at the Paris climate talks (www.protectingamerica.net), we are modeled on the wildly successful initiative Elected Officials to Protect New York, which organized more than 1,000 elected officials to ban fracking and advance clean energy and fossil fuel divestment in New York State (www.nyelectedofficials.org), which has garnered more than 200 media hits.
Expanding from coast to coast, in 2018 we launched Elected Officials to Protect California, with more than 250+ officials from 41 counties calling on Governor Gavin Newsom and former Governor Jerry Brown to phase out fossil fuel production statewide (www.caelectedofficials.org), which was covered in 80 media stories. At the Katowice U.N. climate talks in December, we launched a national letter from 350 state representatives, mayors, and elected officials for 40 states calling for a national Climate Emergency Plan, Green New Deal, and end to fossil fuels, which was covered in CNN, Huffington Post exclusive, and national radio.
Our video production company, Code Blue, has exposed Saudi Arabia buying up American water, which was later covered in The Guardian, documented veterans in public office from all 50 states successfully helping defend the Land & Water Conservation Fund, and profiled the Last Chance Alliance coalition of hundreds of organizations calling to phase out oil and gas drilling in California.
Building on our success, we are launching our National Climate Emergency Tour to 16 states, led by elected officials who are veterans and frontline leaders, to highlight climate threats and solutions, and empower lawmakers to call for a National Climate Emergency Plan to address the escalating crisis. Powered by a Proterra electric bus, the Tour will be covered by CNN, the Today Show, and Leonardo DiCaprio’s production company.
We are seeking highly motivated, dedicated, and passionate changemakers to assist with a variety of projects in the startup phase, including research, outreach, strategy, partnerships, fundraising, administration, and communications. If you want to contribute to a high-leverage start-up campaign and make a national difference, this fellowship is for you.
- Passion and experience in environment, energy, civic engagement, and/or public policy issues;
- Solid problem solving skills; Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to work remotely, efficiently, and reliably meet deadlines;
- Arrange your schedule and hours;
- Diverse set of strengths to contribute to our team and mission;
- Zest, grit, hope, love, social intelligence, gratitude, and a sense of humor;
- Proficiency with Google Docs and Sheets, experience in organizing, campaigns, or policy is an asset.
“It got me out of my comfort zone and I learned a lot – everything from winning grants, policy brief writing, and contacting elected officials. Good for the soul. The work we’re doing really makes an impact. It was exciting to see the TV segment on our press conference!”
- Chris M., 2018-2019 Senior National Campaign Fellow
“We are building something really big here, and it’s amazing to be right in the middle of it all – from talking to elected officials, to making websites, to planning a nationwide outreach campaign – you can literally see the organization taking steps to firmly set itself as a key player in the national environmental policy landscape.”
- Bert L., 2019 National Campaign Fellow
“I joined this team because of the unique and incredible work that EOPA conducts on a daily basis. You really get to understand and build a new organization collaboratively. This is truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to make a difference in our environment and collective public health.”
- Jesse W., 2019 National Campaign Fellow
“EOPA is truly a special organization. We empower leaders, whether elected officials or fellows, even as we massively scale our impact. The collaborative team and mission are inspiring. Everyone has a voice and is supported on their unique path and as a team. I’d highly recommend working for EOPA to anyone interested in environmental policy as well as growing to become a better leader, professional, and activist.
- Kylie B., 2019 Senior National Campaign Fellow
“Working for EOPA is a great way to work on all kinds of different projects and fields. The staff really encourages you to work on what you are interested in and take the lead on it. If you want to be a part of an organization that is trying to change things for the best, EOPA is the place to be.”
- Capucine M., 2019 National Campaign Fellow
- Immediate start for late summer / fall of 2019; accepting applications for Fall, Spring, and Summer
- Flexible hours: 20 to 40 hours per week, fellowship term 3-6+ months
- Work is completely online/remote
- $250-$1000 stipend for fellowship period available for top applicants, commensurate with experience
- Contribute to a strategic, high-leverage campaign with a direct national policy impact
- Work with influential state and local elected leaders
- Exclusive personalized training series from experienced lawmakers & campaign professionals
- Gain valuable organizing and campaign experience
- Opportunities to advance in leadership
- We are a fun team, learn from each other, and have a great team work etiquette
How To Apply
Apply online here: https://goo.gl/forms/wyDiLZPKMJmD0JNB3
If the form is not accessible, please send your resume, cover letter, 3 professional references, and writing sample with the subject “EOPA Fellowship” to firstname.lastname@example.org